02 July, 2008

Defending a Dishcloth

Over on Ravelry, there is a forum group called Dishcloths Must Die. The logo is a skull with a DPN stuck in its eye, and their motto is "I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a DPN than knit a dishcloth." Clever folks.

However, I gotta say that I disagree with these people. I have, on more than one occasion, knit a dishcloth. My most recent is the Ballband Dishcloth from Mason-Dixon Knitting, which qualifies as a viral knit on Ravelry. The pattern boasts over 2800 projects, most entailing more than one cloth. (I made four.) I am giving them to Cindy and Wanda as a very small token of appreciation for lending us the river house for a week; I think they will serve as nice washcloths in the two bathrooms.



O knitted dishcloth, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...
  1. You are fast. Each cloth only takes a few hours to make. Nearly instant knitting gratification.

  2. You are cheap. (Okay, now you sound like a harlot, but you know what I mean.) Kitchen cotton costs anywhere from $1.50 to $2.00 a ball. I spent roughly $7.00 to make the four cloths above, and I have leftover yarn.

  3. You are a non-threatening project on which to try new stitch patterns. If I mess up the stitch pattern, it doesn't really matter because you are going to be used to wash dishes or somebody's 2000 parts anyway.

  4. You have a lot of holes. This means that you trap suds better than other washcloths.

  5. You are green. You will last a long, long time before I have to throw you away.

  6. I don't have a dishwasher to disinfect my sponges... but I do have a washing machine. I can wash you to rid you of any bacteria that might be lurking in your holes.
So I say long live you, mighty knitted dishcloth!

Yarn
Lily Sugar 'n Cream Solid in Ecru and Light Blue
S.R. Kertzer CoolSpun Cotton Solid in Bright Navy

Needles
Size 6, 4.0 mm

Pattern
Ballband Dishcloth
Mason-Dixon Knitting

Modified pattern by casting on only 39 stitches instead of 45. Also knit on smaller needle size than pattern calls for.

3 comments:

Priscilla said...

Hear, hear! I like knitting 'em, too.

~Priscilla
Okemos

Bean Counting Knitter said...

Hand knitted cloths rock.

http://beancountingknitter.blogspot.com/

h3dakota said...

I just LOVE the ballband dishcloth - I've made 3 myself & have plans underway for other projects with the same stitch pattern!