10 May, 2010

Reading Cowl

A while back, I knit a pair of Susie's Reading Mitts for my good friend Wizzie. If you recall, I also knit her a matching cowl using the same stitch pattern as the mitts.



Since then, quite a few people have favorited said cowl, so I thought I'd post the instructions for how to make it here. In no way, shape, or form can I take credit for this idea, as there are many versions of this cowl on Ravelry and I owe the stitch pattern to Janelle Masters.

I used Malabrigo Silky Merino and a size 7, 4.5 mm for this cowl. The cowl has been gifted, so I don't know the gauge, but you can see the size and drape by checking out the picture above. To knit the cowl, you will first need to download the pattern for the mitts.

Cast on 100 stitches. Join for working in round.
Knit 4 rounds even.
Knit the turning round.
Knit 4 more rounds even.
Knit lace pattern.
Knit 30 rounds even (about 3 3/4”).
Knit lace pattern.
Knit 4 rounds even.
Knit the turning round.
Knit 4 rounds even.
Bind off.

Turn in edges and sew down to get “picot” edge. Voilà!

2 comments:

Andi said...

Excellent this is now going to be added to be projects for 2010. :) Beautiful job, thank you for posting the pattern.

Kimberlyn said...

You're very welcome!