09 October, 2011

In the Kitchen—Asian Slaw with Ginger-Peanut Dressing

Throughout the neighborhood, everything says, "Autumn is here."

The leaves are turning.


Feet make the telltale swish swish through leaves not yet blown off the sidewalk.


Marigolds, the flowers of the dead, are in full bloom at Lansing Fire Station 7, fitting for a station whose flag is raised no more.


Harvest decorations are out.


Squirrels are busier than usual.


And fall wreaths adorn many a door.


Yes, all signs point to fall. All, that is, except one. The thermometer. With a high of around 80 degrees, it just doesn't feel like fall. So this Sunday I put away the crock pot and decided on a cold salad for dinner. I had pinned this Asian Slaw with Ginger-Peanut Dressing from Once Upon a Chef to my Pinterest board earlier this week, so I decided to go for it. It's delicious. I made it almost as called for in the recipe, substituting broccoli slaw for half of the shredded coleslaw (so I used 2 cups coleslaw and 2 cups broccoli slaw). To make this more of a full meal, some cold sliced grilled chicken would be delicious on this.

Happy Indian Summer!

No comments: