02 July, 2012

Aquaphile Socks

These socks were long in the making.  



These socks were LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG in the making.  About fifteen months long.  And it wasn't because I didn't like the pattern.  It was because I couldn't seem to make these socks fit. 

The instep knits at a much tighter row gauge than the sole, which is stockinette.  The result?  The bottom of the foot arrives at the correct length much faster than the top.  When I initially cast these on, I knit the whole first sock.  I closed the toe.  And that tight, tight row gauge pulled the toe fabric halfway up the instep, so it looked like the toe began about halfway down the foot.  Rip.



This time, I knit the foot to the correct length using the instep length rather than the sole length.  The result?  The finished socks are now too long!

I am not frogging.  I will wear them long, or I will give them away (which is a shame, because these are so my colors).



Pattern: Aquaphobia by Crystal Flanagan
Yarn: Claudia Hand Painted Yarns Fingering in Mardi Gras
Needles: Size 1, 2.25 mm
Ravel 'em!

1 comment:

ginny said...

Your socks look great, love the colours. I really want to start a pair of socks may be soon!