30 August, 2008

Squares, Squares Everywhere

I cast on another mitered square blanket, this one much less insane.



This one I'm making from leftover worsted weight yarn, so it actually has a chance of being finished within this lifetime. You might recognize the yarn above as the Patons Classic Wool Merino from Kat's Hat and the Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted from my Autumn Calorimetry and Little Ford's Fallen Leaves Socks.



I started a third blanket as well, although this one is much less random. This blanket is going to go in my craft room/guest bedroom. I'm using the pattern for the Warm Up America! Afghan from Knitting for Peace. I love the muted colors of the blanket in the photograph. My blanket colors are inspired by Léon Pourteau's Sur la Plage, a painting that will hang in the room. I'm making the blanket in Cascade 220, and so far I've chosen Natural, a cream color, and Sky Heather, which is almost the same color as the water in the painting, but perhaps a little more muted.

I'm also working on a much anticipated pair of socks, although this is as much as the recipient is going to see before she opens her birthday present.



TOFUtsies... love it or hate it? It feels great and it looks so pretty in the skein, but start knitting it up and it pools like mad. I guess it requires a fancier stitch pattern than the garter rib above, but there's no turning back now. At least it's pooling in a pattern, so we'll stick with it for now.

I still have to write about the Jill Nye Hat and the final Ravelympics project, but I'm waiting to get a good photo of Jill Nye in all her glory before I do.

August has been a record posting month for me. I doubt I can keep up the pace. The munchkins arrive at school on Tuesday. In what has come to be called The Great Purge, I have gone through my filing cabinet, cupboards, and bookshelves, ridding them of old materials to make room for the new social studies materials I've inherited. There was a great deal of purging on that end too. (Linda, if you're reading this, don't freak out. I don't think we threw away anything valuable, but someone just had to get rid of the poster with the 1990 U.S. Census data on it. There just wasn't room to keep everything.)

No comments: