09 August, 2008

Stash Acquistion

I rarely take pictures of stash, or write about stash, but I ventured to two new places (new for me, at least) on Wednesday, so I thought I'd blog about it.

First I went to Old Mill Yarn in Eaton Rapids. In the early 1900s, it was just one of four mills in located there. At one time it produced yarn for the insides of Major League baseballs and also produced a line of yarns for Mary Maxim. A fire destroyed the mill in 1969, at which point the property was purchased by Davidson Corporation.

It's evident when you walk into the store that Old Mill Yarn caters primarily to weavers and spinners; knitting seems to be a secondary craft here. They stock a few mass-produced yarns, but what caught my eye as I walked into the store were some gorgeous hanks of fingering weight wool.


Domy Heather in Bayberry and Dewberry.



Pretty, huh? And a pretty good deal—$7.95 for 475 yards. I have no idea what I'm going to make with them. I'll have to let them sit in the stash for a while and see what they want to become.

From Eaton Rapids I drove west to Charlotte. I had been wanting to go to the Yarn Garden for quite some time. The shop is owned by Lindsay Harmon, who is one really nice, really cool chick. And the shop is absolutely adorable. So is her dog, a Sheltie named Noro. (Ha!) To see better pictures of the shop, check out Lindsay's blog.



I ended up buying one skein of Cascade 128 Tweed and Lynn H's Wristwarmer/Handwarmer pattern. I can't wait to make these mitts to go with a denim jacket. Perfect for apple season at Uncle John's!

Not a bad way to spend a few hours. On the drive home, I thought about how spoiled the fiber arts community of Lansing really is.

The one place I have yet to go? Woven Art. Seriously... it's only a few miles away... what is wrong with me?

And now I leave you with a few random thoughts:
  1. LynnH's Chippy Socks are really, really cool. I think I know a certain toddler who might like them for a Christmas or birthday present.
  2. I am in love with the new Twist Collective. Awesome... just awesome.
  3. Threadbear is open for business again starting today. Welcome back, guys! We missed you.

No comments: