27 December, 2011

Christmas Knitting Unveiled

Wow. It's been a while since I posted to this space, but I have to tell you that I enjoyed some time away. I was a busy little beaver the week before Christmas, making, making, making, and I can finally show off all my handmade gifts!

Today's post is all about the knitting. First off, the Kidlet Caps!

Kidlet Cap #1 (for Kidlet #3)

Pattern: Hans Jungck's Cap, Scandinavian Caps for the Guys by Carol Anderson
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in Charcoal and Blaze
Needles: Size 5, 3.75 mm

Kidlet Cap #2 (for Kidlet #1)

Pattern: Christopher Anderson's Cap, Scandinavian Caps for the Guys by Carol Anderson
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in Denim; Cascade 220 Wool in Atlantic
Needles: Size 5, 3.75 mm

Kidlet Cap #3 (for Kidlet #2)

Pattern: Mark Jungck's Cap, Scandinavian Caps for the Guys by Carol Anderson
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in Orchid and Charcoal
Needles: Size 5, 3.75 mm

These little beanies were fun, quick knits. I'm glad I purchased the pattern book, as the charts will come in quite handy for knitting future colorwork hats. The three patterns above came in sizes that ranged from Child Small to Adult Large. A word of warning, though: the decreases at the tops of the hats are strange and didn't produce a deep enough hat as written, so I completely modified the tops of the hats.

Next up, a pair of socks!

Fisherman Socks (for Mom)

Pattern: Polperro Hornpipe by Deep Sea Knits
Yarn: On Your Toes Bamboo in Ivory
Needles: Size 1, 2.25 mm

These were a fast knit as far as socks go. I finished them way back in the summer after only a week of knitting. Do you remember this post? Yep. These socks.

Cabley Cowl (for the SIL)

Pattern: Rita's Reversible Cowl by Misti International
Yarn: Cascade 128 Superwash in Baby Denim
Needles: Size 13, 9 mm

This cowl worked up fast, fast, fast! If you need something cozy and quick, I highly recommend it. It would be fabulous knit in alpaca. It was even fabulous in the 128. Basically, it's 6 x 6 ribbing with a garter stitch edge and a cable on the fifth and tenth lines of the pattern repeat. There are three cables on one side and two on the other, with purl ridges in between the cables, thus making it reversible. I will probably make this again.

And finally, the pièce de résistance. This is the project that I am most proud of.

Joel-o's Chullo (for the Brother)

Pattern: Doubled Chullo by Kenny Chua
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in Extra Creme Cafe and Cordovan; Plymouth Worsted Merino Superwash in Olive Green
Needles: Size 6, 4.0 mm and size 4, 3.5 mm

I enjoyed knitting this so much that I wrote the designer to tell him how fantastic it is. I followed the directions almost to the letter. I left off the braids and instead of knitting the edge, I did a single crochet edging. I was having trouble getting the earflaps to lay flat with the knit edge, which was quite tight. The hat is reversible; just flip it inside out and you've got a solid-colored hat. Of all the projects I knit for Christmas, I feel like this one was the best executed.

So, Christmas knitting finished December 22, in plenty of time to be washed, blocked, and wrapped.

How about you? How did your Christmas knitting go?

No comments: