18 October, 2009

Going Cold Sheep

Sigh.

The stash is SO big. Small Child #1 even told me that I don't need any more yarn. She's right.

A large stash in and of itself is not a bad thing. There are many positives to having a large stash, which The Yarn Harlot is quick to point out. But there are negatives.

Negative #1: Once upon a time I bought the yarns that make up my stash because I loved them, and I'm no longer feeling the love. Which is a shame, because I have many lovely, lovely projects in my Ravelry queue, and I have the yarn to knit them.

Negative #2: Money tied up in yarn is not available for other things. I need new tires for the Santa Fe. I need paint for the walls in my house. I need to gut the upstairs bathroom. I need to buy Christmas gifts. Good looks do not buy these things... money does.

Efforts to reduce the stash (and stash spending) thus far have not been successful. Time for drastic measures. I am going COLD SHEEP.

The rules:
  • I may buy yarn for knitted gifts if (and this is a big if) there is nothing suitable in my stash.
  • I may buy yarn if I run out in the middle of a project.
  • I may throw in a dollar or two here or there to split skeins for my Sock Yarn Blanket or my Barn Raising Quilt.
  • I may finish the year of my Plucky Classics subscription. As of December 31, no more Plucky.
  • I may buy yarn for the occasional LYS Swap to send to another knitter. (Of course, this means that I shall be receiving yarn, but a girl has to have fun sometimes.)
  • I may buy yarn with a gift certificate or Little Envelope of Goodness from ThreadBear.
  • I may buy yarn if I take a class and the class requires the purchase of yarn.
These are the only reasons for which I may buy yarn until the Michigan Fiber Festival on August 21, 2010.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Welcome aboard! I'm Cold Sheeping it too for mostly all the same reasons.
I started a little while ago and so far it's been a lot easier then I expected. Mind you - I've completely avoided temptation: not stepped foot in my LYS or looked at yarn for sale online.
Here's to success for all of us!