31 October, 2010

Random Sunday

The only way I know how to get back into blogging is to just go for it and compile the random thoughts swimming in my head.

October was crazy... just crazy. Between MEAP testing, parent-teacher conferences, camp, and my brother moving to Michigan, YIKES! I'm glad it's November.

Brother and SIL sold the house. Closing date is December 17, so we have about a month and a half until Small Children become Michiganders. Here's their response to the question, "What do you think about moving to Michigan?"
Small Child #1: I am sad because I won't know anyone and will have to make new friends.
Small Child #2: I am excited because I will get to make lots of new friends!
Small Child #3: Hi, Auntie Kim! I play with cars!

Small Child #1 lost her other front tooth. If you remember, she blew out her right central incisor when she was two years old by falling into an upholstered chair. (Yeah, to this day, I still don't get it, but that's her story and she's sticking to it.) Anyway, she is now symmetrical again.


Photo ganked from SIL's Facebook page.

This couldn't have happened at a better time.



In September I finished a pair of fingerless mitts. Totally easy knit, should have flown off the needles, but took me 23 days.

Red Thermitts


Pattern: Cozy Thermal Mitts by Karen Everitt
Yarn: Mission Falls 1824 Wool in Poppy
Needles: Size 6, 4 mm
Ravel it!

I also finished the Simple Things shawl that I made with the yarn from my frogged Multnomah. That and the Blue Lace Scarf from hell are being blocked by Margaret. Thank God for Margaret, because I hate blocking.

At that point, my knitting mojo done up and left me. Only one project came off the needles in October, and I can't show it to you, as it's a gift and I don't want the recipient to see it should she happen to visit my blog. It was a pair of socks, so at least I did get something done for Socktoberfest this year. A half dozen or so projects were started and frogged this past month. All in all, I have probably knit at least another pair of socks, but alas, I have nothing to show for it.

When I completed that pair of socks, it was pair #8 for the year, so I am only two months behind my goal of twelve total pairs for 2010. That's two pairs per month from here on out. I think I can do it.

My two projects currently on the needles are black. Not exciting. Not conducive to returning the knitting mojo. Although perhaps the black yarn is fitting, as it's Halloween.

Again, I find myself glad that I don't live next to these people.



In crazy drama news, ThreadBear Fiber Arts closed. Sad, sad, sad. I'm not going to launch into the why here, as I would like to keep it classy. Suffice it to say that my knitting group lost its home. Even worse, several of my friends lost their jobs and there are enough hurt feelings going around to last a lifetime. While it may not have been unavoidable, it certainly didn't have to be this way.

I am, however, glad to know that Lansing is still chock-full of knitting shops. Rae's Yarn Boutique and Woven Art are very close, and there will be a new store opening up in Old Town sometime in November. Yay for Old Town Sticks & Strings, launched by Sabrina and Kathy! If you are local, you should definitely check it out!

Last but not least, this and this seemed like a good idea tonight. And I was right... delicious!

1 comment:

Andi said...

Wonderful random Sunday. Missed your posts. I can't wait to see your new enternity scarf.